Table of Contents
About the long-term backup problem.
What kind of data?
- source code;
- books, papers, etc;
- administrative data (bank statement, invoices, etc.).
- better if not encumbered by any known patents; flac, ogg, png, etc.;
- popular format: MP3, JPEG, etc.
- need more and more space;
Where to backup?
- On line:
- Network Attached Storage:
- not long-term
- hard to keep backups up to date
- transfer rates
On line solution: Nextcloud.
The case of pictures
- all photographs;
- real-time backup.
- print as much as possible on quality material;
- regular backup, but a little more spaced in time (need to waste a lot of time in order to have up to date backups).
You can distribute your photographs (numeric and printed) in your family.
|Number of photos|
Before 1999: thousands of analogue photographs (backup on photos album) and 242 photos scanned.
Transfer your photographs to your computer in 5 steps
- transfer on computer with digiKam;
- use the KIPI plugin to batch rename all the photographs;
- change rights:
chmod 700 *.jpg;
- geolocalization with KIPI;
- tag your photographs.